Skip to main content
The Future of Progress:
Applying Follett’s Thinking to Contemporary Issues
Centennial Celebration of Mary Parker Follett
hosted by the John D. Rockefeller IV School of Policy and Politics
West Virginia University
July 12-14, 2018
A Truly Follettian Experience!
Join scholars and practitioners from around the world for this prospective conference
focused on how the theories of Mary Parker Follett hold promise in application
to contemporary practice in the face of global crises spanning climate change,
social and economic transformation, and collaborative governance of organizations
across the sectors of society. These deliberations will identify the contours of
a unique approach to democracy as a way of life in these times of dramatic change.
We will explore together how Follett’s innovative and timeless concepts of integrative
process hold particular promise in their application to contemporary issues; from
self, to group, to neighborhood, to society at a global scale.
- A multidisciplinary meeting of scholars and practitioners who are passionate about
Follett’s ideas from the fields of political and public administration theory,
conflict resolution and community development, management theory and organizational
behavior, and education.
- Advance review of papers to be presented and explored through facilitated dialogue
- A participative, reflective, integrative process to generate an Epilogue to be
included in an edited volume of the conference papers.
- An anniversary celebration of 100 years since the publication of
The New State: Group Organization, The Solution of Popular Government.
- A 150th anniversary celebration of Mary Follett’s birth.