Paolo D. Farah, Ph.D.
- Visiting Scholar – “Trade Law and Sustainable Energy,” Harvard Law School, East Asian Legal Studies, Boston, USA, 2012
- Dual PhD – “China’s Integration into the WTO and the EU-China Trade Relations,” Aix-Marseille University, Centre of International and European Research and Studies, France and University of Milan, Doctoral School on International Law, Italy, 2011
- Fellow at the Institute of International Economic Law (IIEL), Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, D.C., USA, Fall 2004
- LL.M in European Legal Studies, College of Europe, Bruges, Belgium, 2003
- J.D. in International and European Law, University of Paris Ouest La Defense Nanterre, France, 2002
Paolo Davide Farah is an Associate Professor (with tenure) at West Virginia University, Eberly College of Arts and Sciences, John D. Rockefeller IV School of Policy and Politics, Department of Public Administration, having joined the faculty in 2014. He is also an Adjunct Associate Professor of Geography at West Virginia University, Eberly College of Arts and Sciences, Department of Geology and Geography.
Farah is also an “Internationally Renowned Professor/Distinguished Professor of Law” (Full Professor) at Beijing Foreign Studies University (BFSU), Law School, Beijing, China. He is President and Director of gLAWcal – Global Law Initiatives for Sustainable Development, United Kingdom (www.glawcal.org.uk).
Professor Farah is teaching and conducting research in public policy and public administration, democratic context of public administration, legal and political foundations, international law, climate change, international trade, business and human rights, social justice, sustainable development, energy and environmental law and policy. Farah is an expert in the interaction among trade, economic globalization and non-trade concerns, such as sustainable development, energy, environment and human rights.
He has taught various classes at different institutions on public international law, international economic law and WTO law, European Law, Comparative law, and Chinese law in Italy (2003-2011), in the UK as Senior Lecturer in Law – Associate Professor (2012-2014), USA and China as Visiting Professor (since 2008).
Farah acts as Editor-in-Chief for the Book Series “Transnational Law and Governance” and the Book Series of “Global Law and Sustainable Development” (in English) published by Routledge (New York/London) and the Book Series Studies on Globalization published by Wolters Kluwer (CEDAM) for Books in Italian, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese and other non-English languages.
He was a Visiting Scholar (2011–2012) at Harvard Law School, East Asian Legal Studies Program. As Scientific Director, since 2006, he has been coordinating the Summer Law Institute in China – Executive Education Training Program (www.summerlawinstitute.com) held in China. He was an International Consultant and Legal Advisor for projects implemented for the United Nations Development Program (UNDP), for the Italian Ministry of Economic Development and Commerce and for the OECD. He has previously worked at the Legal Affairs Division of the World Trade Organization in Geneva and was an Associate Lawyer of Baker & McKenzie Law Firm, Milan, Italy.
Since 2018, Farah has been an elected Board Member of the European Society of International Law (ESIL) and since 2016 he has been the Chair of the ESIL Interest Group on International Environmental Law (elected for an additional term until 2024). He is also the Chair of the American Society of International Law (ASIL) Interest Group on International Environmental Law and the Vice-Chair of the American Society of International Law (ASIL) Interest Group on International Law and Technology. From 2017 to 2020, he was Chair for the ASIL Interest Group on Intellectual Property Law.
Since 2014, Professor Farah has been an Appointed Member of the International Law Association – ILA Committees on Sustainable Development and the Green Economy in International Trade Law and ILA Committee on Role of International Law in Sustainable Natural Resource Management for Development.
Professor Farah has more than 50 peer-reviewed and US law review articles or book chapters, 9 books and 3 journal special issues published or forthcoming and he has presented his work to more than 120 international conferences and workshops.
Professor Farah’ work has appeared or is forthcoming, among others, in such journals as the Journal of International Economic Law (Oxford University Press), Journal of World Energy Law and Business (Oxford University Press), Journal of World Trade (Kluwer Law International), Legal Issues of Economic Integration (Kluwer Law International), European Energy and Environmental Law Review (Kluwer Law International), Oregon Law Review, Georgetown International Environmental law Review, Columbia Journal of Asian Law, Brooklyn Journal of International Law.
Farah speaks, reads and writes: Italian (native), English (fluent), French (fluent) and Chinese (fair).
For further information, please visit the following blogs, websites and social networks at:
SSRN Author’s Page: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=629289
- Academia: https://wvu.academia.edu/PaoloDavideFarah
- Research- Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Paolo_Farah?ev=hdr_xprf
- Personal Blog: http://paolofarah.wordpress.com
- Publications: http://paolofarah.wordpress.com/list-of-publications
- Twitter: @PaoloDFarah
- gLAWcal – Global Law Initiatives for Sustainable Development: http://www.glawcal.org.uk
- Twitter: @gLAWcal
- Summer Law Institute in China: http://summerlawinstitute.com/
- Twitter: @SLI_China!
- Democratic Context of Public Administration
- Legal and Political Foundations
- Public Policy and Public Administration
- Human Rights and Social Justice
- Energy Policy, Oil & Gas, Environmental Policy, Natural Resources, Climate Policy, Water
- International Law, Trade Regulation and WTO, Intellectual Property and New Technologies