Career Opportunities with MPA
Financial Research Administrator
Class of 2013
“If you are truly honest about your passion for public service, WVU’s MPA program is the platform that will get you to the next level.”
MPA graduates serve in positions of responsibility in local, state, and federal government and non-profit sector in the U.S. and other countries. To learn more about the impact that WVU MPA graduates are making in public service, view our Alumni Spotlights.
Recent MPA graduates work in the following:
- City and county management
- Non-profit management
- Healthcare administration
- Legislative analysts
- Policy and budget analysts
- Community and economic development
- Law enforcement
- University administration
- Public sector consulting
- Mylan Pharmaceuticals
- Federal Bureau of Investigations
- Government Accountability Office
- WV Office of the Governor
- UMass Memorial Medical Center
- WV Citizens Conservation Corps
- Deloitte Consulting
- United Bank
The faculty and staff of the Department of Public Administration work closely with graduate students to explore career options, internship placements, post-graduate fellowships and other professional development activities. To effectively manage the career development process, students are encouraged to:
- Discuss their career interests with their academic advisor.
- Review the Career Guide_2016 prepared by the Department for students interested in Public Administration and Non-Profit Management.
- Check job postings listed on the Department of Public Administration Facebook page.
WVU Career Services Center
The WVU Career Services Center provides helpful services at all stages in career development. Graduate students are encouraged to take advantage of the resources provided through the Career Services Center, including:
- Individualized and group guidance on resume review, interview skills, and career exploration
- Access to public service jobs at WVU-sponsored career fairs and position postings on MountaineerTrak.
- Resources for evaluating jobs, salaries, benefits, and other career development opportunities.
To access the WVU Career Services Center resources visit them at their location next to the Mountainlair Student Center and register through the Mountaineertrak information portal.
There are several online resources that provide information about public service jobs, networking opportunities, and professional development activities.